Have you been itching to explore the Virginia Mountains region, but not sure where to start or where to stop along the way? We’ve done the hard work for you.
Scroll for a complete list of distilleries to visit (itinerary included) and recommendations on lodging, food and activities to enhance your stay. Your next adventure with #VaSpirits will be one to remember.
Everything we mention below is conveniently mapped out here.
Sample spirits from all Virginia Mountain distilleries in just a day or two! Use this itinerary to manipulate based on your ideal starting point and final destination.
- Brady’s Distillery
Founded in 2020, Brady’s Distillery offers carefully blended and aged craft spirits including whiskey, bourbon, vodka and rum. Each spirit has been meticulously curated to satisfy anyone from the most sophisticated bourbon enthusiast to the up-and-coming novice.
- 711 Pocahontas Ave. NE, Roanoke, VA 24012
- (540) 685-1003
- Franklin County Distilleries
When you stumble upon FCD, you’ll find a distillery steeped in history and rooted in quality local craftsmanship. Located in the Moonshine Capital of the World, you can experience the family tradition of moonshine whiskey-making firsthand.
- 25156 Virgil H Goode Hwy., Boones Mill, VA 24065
- (540) 334-1610
- Twin Creeks Distillery
Another distillery with a commitment to preserving traditions of the Blue Ridge Mountains – Twin Creeks offers up complex and inviting moonshine, whiskey and fruit brandies. Each glass tells a story of locally harvested grains and fruits, fresh spring water and age-old methods.
- 510 Franklin St., Rocky Mount, VA 24151
- (540) 483-1266
- Roosters Rise-N-Shine
Here at Roosters Rise -N- Shine Distillery, each bottle starts with an authentic moonshine recipe provided by Franklin County native “Rooster” Hodges. From there, you’ll pick up on hints of maple to peaches and apple pie. Pride in Southern flavor flows through every ounce.
- 96 Builders Pride Dr., Hardy, VA 24101
- (540) 986-5044
With close proximity to city-center Roanoke or charming towns like Rocky Mount, there are countless restaurants to quell your hunger in between special tastings and cocktails.
Farm-to-table favorites in Roanoke:
Lunch bites in Rocky Mount:
Find more eateries here.
Make it a full-fledged vacation and stay in bustling Roanoke, at nearby Smith Mountain Lake or opt for a quaint inn.
Unique stays close-by:
See more options here.
While the spirits may attract you to the area, there are plenty of things to do during your visit to the Virginia Mountains region. Here’s a bucket list to guide you:
- Visit the iconic “Roanoke Star”
- Wind through the Blue Ridge Parkway (& watch the leaves change colors before your eyes)
- Explore the Virginia Museum of Transportation
- Get active with over 1,000 miles of hiking and biking trails (Did you know Virginia’s Blue Ridge is America’s East Coast Mountain Biking Capital?!)
- Head over to the second largest freshwater lake in the state: Smith Mountain Lake.
- Experience nightlife in downtown Roanoke!