Have you been itching to explore Southern Virginia, but not sure where to start or where to stop along the way? We’ve done the hard work for you.
Scroll for a complete list of distilleries to visit and recommendations on lodging, food and activities to enhance your stay. Your next adventure with #VaSpirits will be one to remember.
Everything we mention below is conveniently mapped out here.
Discover three unique distilleries in Southern Virginia in just one day or weekend trip!
Bondurant Brothers Distillery
From bourbon to barbecue sauce, Bondurant Brothers Distillery has everything for spirits lovers with an appetite for local. Bondurant Brother’s moonshine is the star here. Keeping the family legacy alive, Robert Bondurant is the grandson of one of Franklin Country’s most famous moonshiners. At Bondurant Brothers, he brings the history of distilling back to life one single batch at a time.
- 9 E 3rd St., Chase City, VA 23924
- (434) 265-5375
Smith River Spirits
Enjoy the unique and pure taste of Smith River Spirits brandy from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Founders Kevin Nelson, Alan Black and Wes Mills built their distillery on a passion for small-batch distilling and winemaking with over a decade of experience. Specially selected fruits shine through every glass, which all spirits lovers can savor and appreciate.
- 1317 Eggleston Falls Road, Ridgeway, VA 24148
- (888) 215-0607
Founded on early American tradition, Springfield Distillery prides itself on being one of Southern Virginia’s finest. Pop into their tasting room for handcrafted spirits from locally sourced ingredients and learn some of their tricks of the trade while you sip. This labor of love can’t wait to host you!
- 9040 River Road, Halifax, VA 24558
- (434) 575-9317
Stopping to sip at Southern Virginia distilleries works up an appetite – here are a few of our favorite local places to check out along the trail!
For a more detailed list of eateries in the Halifax area, visit here.
Don’t want to leave after just one drink at Springfield Distillery? Stay in the 1842 Cabins on the other side of the property and make it a weekend getaway!
Additional rustic stays and B&Bs:
- Stuart Hill Bed & Breakfast
- Charles Bass House Bed & Breakfast
- Oak Grove Bed & Breakfast
- The Pearl on Jefferson
And for a mix of boutique and luxury:
While spirits may be the main event of your Southern Virginia trip, don’t miss out on these fun adventures that will have you wanting to come back before the weekend ends. Here are a few options to extend and enhance your visit to the area:
- Explore the Virginia Museum of Natural History
- Wander through the Danville Museum of Fine Arts & History
- Take a stroll through MacCallum More Museum & Gardens and Gravely-Lester Art Garden to enjoy the art and beautiful flora.
- Looking for an afternoon on the Green? Check out Green Folly Golf Course.
- Southern Virginia has several breathtaking parks for you to explore. Get active and trek through a few of our favorites, including Fairy Stone State Park, Occoneechee State Park and Buffalo Park.
- A favorite spot for vacationing, John H. Kerr Reservoir (affectionately known as Buggs Island) is a lake-lovers dream and is full of coves to be explored!
Visit virginia.org for a full guide on “Virginia’s racing region.”